Thursday, September 17, 2009

Buzzed... Literally

Lately my hair had been getting to the point where it was falling down over my eyes. Leaving spinning I would have to put my cap on backwards just to keep the sweaty mess out of my face.

A haircut was in order so today after class with the sun shining Ned and I decided to take a stroll down to the main square and search out a peluquerĂ­a (haircut place). After some looking we found one with several stylists sitting around looking bored. Perfect.

I sat down in the chair under a poster sized glamour shot of Taylor Swift and then realized how do you translate "give me the usual" when you're thousands of miles from your normal barber. The answer is you don't. More universal however, are a pair of clippers and the different guards that can be put on those clippers. It's an easy scale, one is the shortest and then you get longer from there. What could be easier?

I look up at Taylor. Go for she says from behind the makeup and airbrushing.
"Pura maquina, numero cinco por favor" (just the clippers, number 5 please) I hear myself say. The stylist looks briefly surprised and then goes to work.

Afterwards I look at myself in the mirror. It's been 8 or 9 years since my hair was this short. It's shocking but it feels great. Will people like it? Eh, who cares it'll grow back. Here's to being "doormat" once again. Pictures will come soon, i'm sure.

3 comments:

lehall said...

I really wish I were there to rub your head (and to be in Peru)
Have Fun! and wear a hat. You don't want to burn.

anwilkins said...

I wish I was there to rub your head, too.

dabaker said...

thanks wilkins. rub marshal's for me when yall are in London and pretend. enjoy the travels, hope it's a blast.