Friday, September 18, 2009

The Walking Man Walks

I woke up late today and thus had to scramble to get up to the clinic in Alto Cayma for my Friday intership. After a quick breakfast I made it down to the street but a combi from the line i usually take passed me by. Mmm being white can be frustrating. So i hopped on a different combi that I knew went in generally the same direction. Sure enough i made it up the hill but the place where i got off was nowhere near the normal route. So i started trekking up through the neighborhoods. Unlike the dry mud of Reynosa, the roads here are a fine grey sand and rock mix. Most of the houses I pass are little more than sillar (the volcanic rock that is so common here)with a sheet metal roof. Sometimes they would have mortar between the block. I continue winding through the streets, ocassionaly dropping down into gullyey, making my way in the general direction of the clinic. Along the way i stop to ask several different people for directions. A bus driver, a construction crew, a friendly taxista, several women walking here or there along the road. Each interaction was a great opportunity to smile, say hey, and meet someone new. An hour or so later i walked down the familiar street to the clinic feeling proud that i had made there myself. For the next few hours as I observed Dr. Christian with patients i kept imagining which part of the neighborhood they were from. Did i walk by their house earlier?
This is what i love.

No comments: