Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Forget Homework, this is Family Time

One of the great things about being abroad is experiencing times when you have absolutely no control over your schedule. Tonight was one of those times.

In the afternoon I decided to go for a run with Ned after class to change pace a bit before starting in on work. The run was beautiful and invigorating. Ned and I hung out a bit until, around 7pm, I call home to check and see if the family is going to be in and to let them know that I’ll be home to do homework soon. Before I can say any of this Claudita offers up the news that we are going to a Chinese place at 7:30pm to celebrate granny’s birthday. Somewhere along the line I missed this little detail.

What’s the address of the house where you are?

Well, I…

Which change of clothes should we bring you?

Have a fair bit of work…

We’ll be there in a couple of minutes

Ok, great let’s eat!

The food ended up being delicious and, as always at these family gatherings, the conversation was amusing. Example: I’m getting fat. Yes, you are. It’s because of x,y, or z. Also, did you know that the carbonation in soda will upset the child’s stomach? Yes, that’s why you have to stir it with a fork first to release the gas…

The funniest part of the night though had to be after the meal. Someone asked “who’s ready for dessert?” and my little brother Santiago screams “ME!!!” Well this became a game that was repeated at least 5 times so that the whole restaurant had no doubt what Santi wanted.

Three hours after being picked up and 5 hours after innocently starting my run we pull back into the house.

That was great! I love being here.

Where’s my bed?

1 comment:

Yoga Mama said...

WHat great experiences! these rich family times with a surrogate grandmother, aunts and uncles and children must be stored in the memory ....when some time you are not around any family and you have to relive them again! We are so thankful you are giving so much of yourself to your new family!
Loved talking to you. Now you ccna do your homework today with great concentration and efficiency .
Be good to yourself!